Epoch Investment Partners
Epoch strives to produce superior risk-adjusted returns by constructing portfolios with outstanding risk/reward profiles. Before making an investment, the team analyzes a company as if they were private investors looking to purchase the entire business. Epoch invests in businesses with understandable operating models, straightforward financial statements, and a proven ability to generate free cash flow. They also look for securities that, in their view, have unrecognized potential.
Epoch's goal is to produce an efficient portfolio on a risk/return basis. At the heart of their portfolio construction process is diversification. The team diversifies across attractive sectors, limits individual holding sizes, and maintains a strict sell discipline with low portfolio turnover. Epoch firmly believes that if they have identified a "good business" at a "good price," time is their ally as patient investors.
The security selection and research methodology is the same for all of Epoch's equity strategies. Epoch utilizes the following evaluation components in their investment process:
- Analyze the Business - Determine the sustainability of the business, earnings drivers, barriers to entry, and competitive advantages.
- Understand the Cash Flow Structure - Focus on companies that generate cash earnings and assess the quality and character of those earnings to determine the net cash flow from the business.
- Relate Cash Flow to Enterprise Value - Examine relevant claims against net cash flow and determine the necessity of these claims to maintain and grow the business. Evaluate how management will use free cash flow. Value the cash flow stream and compare it to enterprise value to determine the attractiveness of the investment.
- Evaluate Management Quality - Identify management with an intention and demonstrated ability to create shareholder value.
- Seek Unrecognized Assets - Uncover, where possible, hidden, undervalued or underutilized assets, especially in under-researched small- and mid-cap companies.
While the security selection and research methodology is the same for all of Epoch's equity strategies, the portfolio construction process is adapted to the specific parameters of each strategy managed by the team.
Epoch Investment Partners, Inc. (Epoch) is a global asset management firm formed in April 2004 by experienced professionals. Epoch was created with the specific goal of responding to paradigm shifts within the sources of global equity investment returns and within the structure of the investment management business as a whole.
At Epoch, culture matters. The investment team consists of seasoned professionals who have worked together in the past and bring tremendous experience to the firm. On average, the members of the senior investment team possess more than 25 years of industry experience and our professional staff averages over 20 years in the industry. All employees own stock in the firm, aligning the firm's interests with those of its clients and shareholders.