The IQ Hedge Multi-Strategy SMA seeks to track the performance of the IQ Hedge Multi-Strategy SMA Index. The Index attempts to replicate the risk-adjusted return characteristics of hedge funds using various hedge fund investment styles including equity long/short, emerging market hedge, global macro, event driven, market neutral, and fixed income arbitrage.
The portfolio is designed to mimic the risk-return characteristics of multi-strategy hedge fund of funds, without the structural limitations typically associated–excessive fees, lack of liquidity, and transparency. Based on IndexIQ’s methodology, the portfolio rebalances exposures monthly across the broad hedge fund strategies to respond to the changing dynamics of the market.
IndexIQ is a leading issuer of liquid alternative solutions focused on absolute return, real assets, and international strategies. The firm's philosophy is to democratize investment management by making innovative alternative investment strategies available to investors in low cost, liquid, and transparent products.
The IQ Hedge Multi-Strategy SMA Portfolio was developed as an outgrowth of this philosophy as it provides investors with a more efficient and structurally superior solution for investment access to the multi-strategy hedge fund universe.
By employing both our process and our guiding principles, the IQ Hedge Multi-Strategy SMA Portfolio is designed to provide many benefits, including:
- Can capture favorable characteristics of hedge funds in a non-hedge fund wrapper
- Broad exposure: dynamically allocates across six of the most widely used hedge fund strategies
- Liquid: daily liquidity, no lock-ups
- Transparent: portfolio components available for disclosure daily
- No headline risk: does not invest in hedge funds
- No "3 & 30" hedge fund of funds fee structure
- Systematic, rules-based index process dynamically adjusts to changing market environment
- Tax efficient
The process for implementing the portfolio is to track, as closely as possible before fees and expenses, the IQ Hedge Multi-Strategy Index, which is based on the premise that the risk-return characteristics of hedge funds are valuable additions to a diversified portfolio. A substantial body of academic research has developed that documents the large “beta” (or asset class exposure) component relative to the “alpha” (or true manage skill) component of hedge fund returns. The investment process of the portfolio was designed to use ETFs, exchange-traded notes (ETNs), and other exchange-traded vehicles (ETVs) to capture the systematic or “beta” component of hedge fund returns. It is a rules-based methodology that does not allow for subjective or active asset allocation decisions.
The process consists of the following steps:
- Applying minimum asset constraints and other filters to the universe of all ETFs to eliminate illiquid ETFs. The filtering process is conducted annually.
- Mapping relevant ETFs to specific hedge fund styles based on quantitative calculations as well as a qualitative assessment of the relevance of the selected ETFs to the hedge fund style (mapping is reviewed and adjusted as necessary on an annual basis).
- Estimating, via regression, the optimal exposures for each ETF within each hedge fund style (regression is performed monthly).
- Estimating the optimal combination of the hedge fund styles to allow the fund to seek to achieve its objective (optimization is performed monthly).
- Combining the exposures to each ETF within each hedge fund style with the optimal allocation across hedge fund styles (the combining is performed monthly).
- For our mutual fund, we apply 25% leverage to all positions in the portfolio.
Our robust process has resulted in IndexIQ investment solutions serving as building blocks for modern portfolio diversification, characterized by:
- Low volatility
- Attractive up/down capture
- Low correlation to traditional asset classes
- Liquid, transparent, low cost, tax efficient
Moreover, by using liquid ETFs in a process that has full transparency and full disclosure of the positions, the portfolio seeks to provide investors, in a cost effective manner, the positive attributes of hedge funds, while eliminating the structural issues that limit their accessibility and appeal.
IndexIQ's ETF Model Portfolios offer specialized investment solutions to meet the needs of investors. ETF Model Portfolios can be tailored to match the investment goals and objectives of clients, making them an ideal solution for investors with unique investment objectives and preferences.
Our ETF Model Portfolios leverage IndexIQ's suite of liquid, transparent, and low cost alternative investment strategies*. Examples of IndexIQ's ETF Model Portfolios include:
- IQ Global Alternatives ETF Model
- IQ Hedge Composite Beta ETF Model
- IQ Hedge Long/Short Beta ETF Model
- IQ Hedge Market Neutral Beta ETF Model
- IQ Hedge Fixed Income Arbitrage Beta ETF Model
- IQ Hedge Global Macro Beta ETF Model
- IQ Hedge Event-Driven Beta ETF Model
- IQ Hedge Emerging Markets Beta ETF Model
*Brokerage commissions apply to ETFs. Components of IndexIQ ETFs are published daily on the IndexIQ.com. ETFs are liquid in that they are exchange-traded.